Young Adult Creative Writing Workshops (YACWW)

Saturday, August 19, 2006

I'm back!

Vacation was a blast:) The kids had fun and me and my husband are dogged. Wanted to catalogue my trip but the cell phone died half way through;( Bummer.

Anyway, I'm back and ready to finish out the last of summer with a blast! We still got Evelyn, Sarah and Jenny hanging ten and surfing into town with the block party.

Last but not least....here is what Maya had to say for her last question from lis...Hi, my question is where do you see the YA market headed and what do you think has been overdone to death?

In my humble opinion, fantasy has been overdone to death. That doesn’t mean that there isn’t demand, just that I, a former fantasy lover, feel like the quality has gone down in this genre since so many have started tackling it.

I see YA increasing in popularity and hopefully drawing more closet (or uncloseted) adult readers to it. I’m not a big trend forecaster as I just go with my gut in terms of what I take on, but I feel there’s room for more SF and more serious books—but that’s just what I find hard to locate when I go to the bookstore, not necessarily where it’s headed.

I want to thank Maya for coming out and chillin' here at YACWW. Now I expect to be getting some feedback (say a year from now) that we have a few new YA authors in the house.