Young Adult Creative Writing Workshops (YACWW)

Saturday, February 17, 2007

Highlights for Children Fiction Contest

Do you remember Highlights? I have memories of reading the children's magazine when I was in elementary school. Apparently, it's still around, which makes me feel real old. ;-) I'm afraid there's not a lot of time to get in on this contest, but it sounds like fun for children's writers interested in mysteries. Unfortunately, you have to be older than 16 to submit. Check it out. ~ Patrizia

Here's the info:
Fiction Contest

GUIDELINES
HIGHLIGHTS 2007 FICTION CONTEST
Guidelines for Submission

CATEGORY: Mystery stories.

PRIZES: Three prizes of $1,000 each.

ENTRY DATES: All entries must be postmarked between January 1 and February 28, 2007.

CRITERIA: Stories may be any length up to 800 words. Stories for beginning readers should not exceed 500 words. Indicate the word count in the upper right-hand corner of the first page of your manuscript.

No crime, violence, or derogatory humor.

Manuscripts or envelopes should be clearly marked FICTION CONTEST. Those not marked in this way will be considered as regular submissions to Highlights.

Enclose a stamped, self-addressed envelope with each entry. No entry form or fee is required. Work from both published and unpublished authors is welcome. All submissions must be previously unpublished.

*Entrants must be at least 16 years old.

SEND ENTRIES TO:
FICTION CONTEST

Highlights for Children
803 Church Street
Honesdale, PA 18431

WINNERS: The three winning entries will be announced in June 2007. These stories will become the property of Highlights for Children and will be published by Highlights. All other submissions will be considered for purchase by Highlights.

Manuscripts not purchased will be returned in June with a list of the winners.

* We're sorry that we cannot consider work from children under the age of 16 for the contest. Young writers are welcome to submit their work for consideration elsewhere in the magazine. Guidelines available upon request.

1 Comments:

  • At 2:58 PM, Blogger Lorie said…

    Thanks for the comment on my blog. Since the content of your site meshes so well with mine, I've made you part of my Pay It Forward Tuesday promotion. I'm sure I'll be returning. I'm thinking I've certainly read enough literature for teens; maybe I should try my hand at writing for the YA market.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home