Young Adult Creative Writing Workshops (YACWW)

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Interview with Adelle Laudan


Adelle Laudan is no stranger to this blog. She generously took part in a chat we hosted between her and a fourth grade class in NY and has been a wonderful supporter of YACWW efforts.

It is so great to have her here today, especially since she has some great news to share about her book, Dee Days. But I'll let you find that our for yourself. Enjoy.

Thank you Patrizia and Sasha for having me here today.

Can you tell us about your journey to become a writer/author?

I think it began in my early teens. I started writing my thoughts down on paper. Writing was my great escape from the harshness of life, a place where being hearing impaired had no relevance. I’d only let one other person read my stories up until five years ago when I met the love of my life. January 2006 is the first time I entered a writing contest, in doing so, gave me the desire to try and publish something. At first I was just going to self publish, but the more my friends pushed as well as the positive feedback I received whenever I posted something online gave me the courage to submit my first book Juliana, a story of my heart, which was very well received.

The rest… is history in the making.


You're making a splash with contemporary/mainstream romantic fiction. What made you turn your hand to tween fiction?

I love both genres and think I can have the best of both worlds. My girls are ages almost 12 and 13, so they were always bugging me to write something they could read. I really enjoy writing Tween fiction. For me, it is fun and I will to continue writing books for Tweens, for as long as they are reading them.

I see a definite motorcycle motif running through your writing and websites. What's the story behind that?

I was sort of bouncing from genre to genre, trying to find my niche. A wise woman told me, to write what I know. Since I’ve lived the lifestyle, most of my adult life, it just made sense to write about it. People have the wrong impression of Bikers in general. The majority of us are working class, family orientated people who just happen to share the common bond of riding. It is my hope to change the image of Bikers, one book at a time.

Tell us about Tween Time. Where did the idea come from? What's the motivation behind it? How is it succeeding?

Tween Time originated from my desire to keep my Tween Fiction separate from my Adult Fiction. I also think that kids in their Tween years tend to get lost in the shuffle. They are not kids anymore and not quite young adults either. I wanted a place that was all about Tweens. How different my life might have been if I’d had support and encouragement with my writing at this age.

Give us a brief description of Dee Days.

Dee Days is a Tween mystery with a tWiSt. It is the story of Deedee and how she coped with having to move, after living in the same neighborhood her whole life. Deedee is a bit of an ‘outsider’ amongst her peers. She is taller than most of the kids her age and her strict father, forbids her to wear jeans like the other kids her age. Exploring her new neighborhood with new friend Anita, they find an old abandoned skating arena at the end of her street. In spite of being forbidden to go near the arena, Deedee and Anita venture inside. What they find will have you sitting on the edge of your seats…

How did the idea behind Dee Days come about?

There was an actual arena like the one in my book at the end of my street at that age. Although I never ventured inside as a child, I often imagined all sorts of things happening behind the boarded up windows. Dee Days offered me a way to explore these daydreams and make them a reality of sorts. I am very excited to see Dee Days coming out in print in June 2007.

What other tween books do you have in the works?

I have just signed a Series Contract, making Dee Days the first book in the Dee Day Mystery series. The second book will be out October 13th and in print November 2007!!

I am also doing research for a Tween Fantasy. I’ve never written one before but am having a ball putting it all together. Hopefully it will be ready to submit later this year.


If you could be any character in a book or movie, who would you be and why?

Hermione Grange from Harry Potter. It would be incredible to play a part in such a fascinating world such as the one JK Rowling created for this series.

What is the toughest part of writing for tweens?

Maybe it’s because my girls are in their tween years, but I don’t have any difficulty writing as a tween. I think the hardest part is getting the word out to tweens about my books. There is a serious lack of venues to do so which is why places like this are greatly appreciated.

What advice can you give to young adults wanting to write?

Learn as much as you can about the craft of writing. Read as much as you can in the genre you’d like to write in. Remain teachable; finding a mentor is always a good thing. Most importantly, write… just do it, and don’t force yourself to write something your heart isn’t in. In other words, don’t worry about the trends in writing. A good book will always be a good book, no matter what the trend is this week.

I wish you all Miles of Smiles J

http://adellelaudan.com
http://mardigraspublishingya.com

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home