Young Adult Creative Writing Workshops (YACWW)

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

BACK TO SCHOOL MYSTERY

Hi everyone!

Today we kick off the BACK TO SCHOOL MYSTERY with Patrizia Hayashi!

How to Get Write Started

I could say Sasha twisted my arm to get me to write this column, but the truth is I...came up with the idea all by myself. Once again I opened my mouth and so here I sit in a Starbucks in Japan, sipping a caramel Frappuccino and facing a blank screen, all the while wondering what I am going to write about. Who am I to instruct or advise on writing?
I'm not a published fiction author, though I'm trying to make the leap. I have published articles and have worked as a writer and editor for a small corporate communications company. I've taken courses on writing craft and have read umpteen books on the subject. I know what stories I like and don't like.
And I know that bad writing kills a story faster than it takes to switch tunes on an iPod.
So what makes a great writer?
I'm going to let you in on a secret: There is no magic formula to writing. It's hard work and a lot of practice. In other words write! write! write!
But what should I write about you ask or maybe you didn't but I'm going to offer some suggestions anyway.
Start With Yourself
But my life is boring you say. I hear you and can sympathize--so's mine. Seriously, though, get out a sheet of paper and make a list of the following:
5 places you've been
5 things you've done
5 things you like to do
5 things you hate to do
5 experiences that provoked strong emotions in you
5 personal issues you have trouble facing
5 memories from childhood
5 anecdotes about your ancestors or family
What do you fear?
What makes you feel guilty?
What beliefs or concepts do you hold deeply?
What do you dream about?
There is a wealth of material here to spark any story idea. And if you've still hit a dead end, consider variations of fairy tales and myths; scour the newspaper and Internet for ideas or twisting the plot of a favorite story to how you would like it to read (no plagiarizing please.) Open your eyes and look around you when you are at the store, school or work. A creative mind can find a story idea anywhere.
Now that you have the seeds to get you started, here are some writing exercises that will help you to do what you came here to do: Write!

(Note these exercises are meant to stretch your writing muscle. They are not assignments to turn in, but if you have questions, feel free to ask them by posting a comment.)

Writing Exercise 1: One page. Write about one of your childhood memories. Go back and add details. What is the tone? Light? Serious? Could this be developed into a story?

Writing Exercise 2: A few paragraphs. In keeping with the mystery theme for this week, take a notebook when you are out to jot down observations about the people you see. Imagine you’re a private detective and they’re suspects in a case. How would you describe them if you could only do so in a few words? Were you able to describe the characters enough to give them life or do they seem generic/cardboard? Now using the characters you created, sketch out a brief scene. It could be a falling out among thieves, a blackmail attempt, or wherever your imagination leads. Make the most of every word. You want the writing to be tight.

Writing Exercise 3: Two to three pages. Take a strong emotion from your list and create a scene in which that emotion comes through. How did you convey the emotion? Through dialog? Actions? Go back and examine the words and actions you used. Would other word choices or actions make the scene stronger?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home